z/XDC (Extended Debugging Controller) is an interactive program development and debugging tool for use with both application programs and systems-level programs running within most of the numerous execution environments (task mode, SRB mode, PC, SVC, cross memory, etc.) supported by IBM's z/OS operating system.
z/XDC can dramatically ease the problems and lower the costs associated with the development and maintenance of both simple and complex, low-level programs. z/XDC helps our customers deliver superior program products with lower error-rates and quicker times-to-market.
z/XDC consists of the main product, base/XDC, and additional functionality provided through optional, separately licensed features:
Base/XDC is the core component of z/XDC and must be licensed. It consists of all the program development support that ColeSoft has spent over 40 years building.
With base/XDC, you can debug:
- Problem state programs (see auth/XDC for Supervisor State support)
- Task mode code
- Programs running with any user level execution keys (key 8, key 9, etc.)
- Normal environments
- Multitasking code and single threaded programs
- 24-bit, 31-bit, and 64-bit programs
- CICS programs, DB2 programs, and IMS and IDMS programs
- TSO and ISPF command processors
- Batch programs and started tasks
- Problem mode product exits and modifications
- And much more
Base/XDC includes the following built-in elements:
- cdf/XDC- Cross Domain Facility
- tfs/XDC - Terminal Full Screen Mode
- rexx/XDC - REXX Scripting Support
Read more about the full functionality of base/XDC on our z/XDC Functionality page.
auth/XDC Feature (Optional)
auth/XDC is an optional feature that enables the ability to use z/XDC to debug programs running authorized and running in specialized environments.
With auth/XDC, you can debug:
- APF authorized programs
- Supervisor state routines
- Programs running with execution keys 0 through 7
- Programs running in cross memory environments
- SVC routines
- PC routines
- SRB routines
- Programs running under the protection of FRR routines
- System exits and modifications
asm/XDC Feature (Optional)
asm/XDC is an optional feature that activates those z/XDC capabilities that are Assembler specific.
With asm/XDC, you can:
- Load and view symbol maps from Assembler-created SYM data
- Load and view source image maps from Assembler-created ADATA
- Load and manipulate and view DSECT maps for control blocks and data areas
c/XDC Feature (Optional)
c/XDC is an optional feature that activates those z/XDC capabilities that are C, C++ and Metal C specific.
With c/XDC, you get:
- Source Statement Debugging of IBM XL C, C++ and Metal C.
- Execution in 24-, 31-, and 64-bit environments.
- STEP command (STEP IN / OUT / OVER).
- Variable, array, and structure displays with drill-down techniques.
- Stack Frame displays, any and all.
- Automatic detection of transitions from Assembler to C language (and back again) for seamless multi-language debugging.
- Automatic mapping of C modules when detected.
- C source statements with or without the underlying Assembler intermixed.