dump/XDC is a new Licensed Feature that gives z/XDC the ability to examine SYSMDUMPs, IEATDUMPs, SVC dumps, operator dumps and stand alone dumps using z/XDC's command set (not just IPCS's).
Now, you can use both z/XDC and c/XDC mapping and formatting capabilities to display dumped storage as:
- Source image assembler programs,
- Source image C, C++, Metal C and System C programs,
- System and user control blocks and data areas,
- C variables, arrays, structures and slices,
- And object code disassembly.
dump/XDC integrates into IPCS, so you can go back and forth using either product's commands when rummaging around in the dump. z/XDC will capture IPCS's reports and present them to you within z/XDC's own displays.
For over two years, Peter Morrison has been working on adding to z/XDC the ability to examine all the dump types that IPCS supports. Update PEM-2108D has finally folded that work into our published z/XDC. So if you have applied our z/XDC maintenance update any time since the end of August 2021, then you already have dump/XDC installed!
Meanwhile, dump/XDC's Help topics are already available to you as a branch of z/XDC's Build-in Help, and it contains a lot of information about dump/XDC. To get started:
- Open a normal z/XDC session (TSO XDCCALL IEFBR14 will do).
- Then use LIST HELP DUMPS 9 to see the organization of the topics documenting dump/XDC.
- Then use HELP DUMPS whatever to delve deeper into any subtopic you like.
Please let us know what you think.
September 27, 2021